If you are wearing an improperly fitted motorcycle helmet you are only slightly better protected than wearing no helmet at all. A poorly fitting helmet offers little to no protection against accidents and/or injury. Although a helmet should not be too tight, a snug offers the best possible protection
D.O.T. vs Snell Certification. Which Is The Best?
People sometimes question which is the best certification – D.O.T. or Snell?
A D.O.T. Certified helmet is satisfactory and will offer excellent protection qualities. D.O.T. should be the minimum safety standard that you would consider acceptable
A Snell Certified helmet is the “Cream of the Crop” and the top of the helmet food chain. The stringent requirements that must be met to be Snell certified are the toughest around the globe.
How To Properly Size A Motorcycle Helmet
Here’s What You’ll Need:
1. A flexible tape measure
2. A length of string
3. A yardstick or ruler
4. A Sizing Chart (see one below)
5. Someone to help you.
Measuring your head
1. To determine the correct size for your helmet, you’ll need a flexible tape measure or a length of string will suffice. If you do not have a flexible tape it’s ok, you can wrap the string aroundyour head, then lay it flat next to a measuring ruler or yardstick to determine the circumference of your cranium.
2. When measuring, you’ll want to stay about 1 inch above your ear tops and eyebrows. This is where another individual can assist you in making sure the tape or string ispositioned correctly around your head (staying 1 inch above ear tips and eye brows)
3. Compare your size to the sizing chart to purchase the appropriate helmet.
Judging the fit of a helmet
1. When you receive your helmet, try it on and ensure that you have clean hands and hair and are not wearing any makeup. You don’t want an online retailer to refuse to take the helmet back because it’s damaged or dirty.
2. A helmet should feel a little snug when you first put it on but should not be uncomfortable. The helmet liner will relax about half a size after the first few times worn. If your head hurts because the helmet is too tight then you’ll need to move up one size.
Now that you are aware of the proper size to get, you can see many options available for purchase over the internet at the store within LadiesMotorcycleHelmets.org